Saturday, February 25, 2017

Spring 2017 CHEM 312: Lecture 8 Nuclear Force and Nuclear Models

This lecture provides information on nuclear force and nuclear models. The strong force is introduced through isospin. A comparison of exchange particles is provided. The use of mirror nuclei to examine the strong force is presented. An overview of nuclear potentials is provided and used to discuss the shell model. States of the shell model and their relationship to magic numbers are discussed. Use of the shell model is determine nuclide spin and parity is presented. The relationship between spin and parity with nuclear deformation is introduced with Nilsson diagrams. Additional information on Nilsson diagrams can be found in the Table of the Isotopes. An introduction of the Fermi model for energetic nuclei is given. The lecture length is 52 minutes.  The lecture is assigned 23-Feb-17 and due 5-Mar-17.

29 comments:

  1. for the question 3:can you give some ideal for non-spherical?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The shell model is based on a spherical nuclei. If the measured spin and parity differs from the shell model spin and parity, the nuclei may not be spherical.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, the quiz was send via email

      Delete
  2. I assume that all nucleons of the same kind will attempt to fill the lowest available "tier", in the shell model. Am I correct?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are correct. Excite nuclei may not follow this property, but for the systems we discuss your comment is correct.

      Delete
  3. for question1. do we include unstable doubly magic nuclei?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would include radioactive doubly magic nuclei.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Viewed the lecture and emailed my quiz to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. great lecture !! is there any good website we can get a enlarge clear version of the shell model you can recommend? I submitted my pdf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there is a shell model in the table of the isotopes.

      Delete
  7. Submitted the quiz via email!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I finished your lecture and emailed you my quiz as an attachment. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lecture and quiz 8 submitted. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I sent my quiz last night but forgot to comment here, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just submitted the quiz and finished lecture 8.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have viewed the lecture and sent in the corresponding quiz, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I submitted my quiz by email, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have finished the lecture and submitted my quiz

    ReplyDelete
  15. Quiz number 8 submitted. I may have a question about the non-spherical portion of number 3 however I will wait for you to post the answers first thanks.

    ReplyDelete