Monday, February 15, 2016

Spring 2016: CHEM 312 Lecture 6 Gamma Decay

Gamma decay is described in two lectures. The first lecture covers the fundamentals of gamma decay and second lecture describes Moessbauer spectroscopy.  Different methods to find data on gamma decay yields for decay of isotopes are presented. The energetics involved in gamma decay are provided. This includes recoil from gamma, which is exploited in Moessbauer spectroscopy.  Decay types in gamma transitions are explained, focusing on electromagnetic basis for the gamma emission.  Transition probabilities and internal conversions inherent to gamma decay are covered. Isotope examples for internal conversion electrons are given.  Angular correlations in gamma decay are described with an experimental example provided. The use of gamma decay in Moessbauer spectroscopy is discussed.

19 comments:

  1. Finished the lecture and this quiz. I had some problems pulling up the page to look for the % yield with the lbl.gov link. I ended up using the table of the isotopes, but the emission values were still pretty easy to locate. In addition to searching for the yields, I have a question about question 3 on the quiz: can we pick more than one statement? If not, I might have to go back to understand the conditions for electron vs. photon emission in gamma.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The LBL page is at times problematic. For question 3 you can have more than one answer.

      Delete
  2. Finished the lecture and quiz. It was interesting to learn more about Mossbauer spectroscopy since a few other classes have briefly mentioned it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is cool you can get chemical speciation information from a nuclear technique.

      Delete
  3. I finished the lecture and quiz. It was relatively easy. Also, were the office hours today? If so, I could not attend because I was at the doctor's office all day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No office hours today. How about 1000 on Thursday 3 March?

      Delete
  4. Just finished the lecture and quiz. I would agree this was a very straightforward quiz. It's wild to learn how large of a role the spin and parity play in interactions at the atomic level!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spin and parity have a role in all these interactions. It is very cool.

      Delete
  5. Finished the quiz. Now I have another chemistry app on my phone!

    ReplyDelete
  6. the quiz has been completed and sent.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Done with lecture and quiz. The first question took me a while because it was too obvious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Done with lecture and quiz. The first question took me a while because it was too obvious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Completed the quiz--I'm sorry, it may have sent twice. And I apologize for overlooking this lecture!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I completed the lecture and quiz today

    ReplyDelete