Saturday, March 5, 2016

Spring 2016: CHEM 312 Lecture 9 Nuclear Reactions

The lecture on nuclear reactions is presented in two parts. Nuclear reaction notation is introduced. The role of energetics in nuclear reactions is discussed and evaluated, including Q value, reaction barriers, and threshold energy. Center of mass and laboratory frames are discussed. The different processes involved in the formation of isotopes is provided including photonuclear processes. Reaction energetics, mechanisms and types are described. Nuclear reaction cross sections are described, with a presentation on values and limits given. This includes role of angular momentum in cross section values. The stellar production of elements is presented in terms of nuclear reactions. These provide the basis for understanding the formation of isotopes in stars.

11 comments:

  1. I finished the lecture and quiz. I really felt like this lecture helped solidify a few concepts for me, and maybe introducing this material earlier on for future classes would benefit some students.

    Also, is it okay if I'm not digitally signing these quizzes? I don't have a digital signature set up and have been submitting it anyway. Hope that's okay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if I did this pdf quiz right. I understand the concepts and such but when I was doing the problem 1 on the quiz I just didn't think I was doing it right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For question 1, is the compound nucleus simply the fusion product?

    ReplyDelete
  4. For question 1, is the compound nucleus simply the fusion product?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just finished and submitted the quiz!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just finished the lecture and submitted the quiz.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have completed and submitted the quiz now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Finished the lecture and submitted the quiz. I selected the product and the q-value for the first question by selecting a fusion reaction in the q-calculator but the values seemed a little high in magnitude.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just completed and submitted the quiz. I found the nucleosynthesis processes very interesting and informing as to how different elements naturally form over time.

    ReplyDelete