Sunday, January 29, 2017

Spring 2017 CHEM 312: Lecture 4 Alpha Decay

This lecture discusses alpha decay in radionuclides. Theories on alpha decay are presented. Systematics and energetics involved in alpha decay are presented. The correlation between Q value and decay energy is described. The Geiger Nuttall relationship is provided, described, and utilized in a model for alpha decay. Tunneling is also exploited to described alpha decay, coupling energy and half-life. Gamow calculations are shown to reflect the Geiger Nuttall relationship. Hindered alpha decay is discussed. Hindered alpha decay is employed to described nuclear properties. Hinderance factors are described, along with how they are calculated and where they can be found. Proton and other charged particle emission are presented. The lecture time is 46 minutes.   The lecture is assigned 2-Feb-17 and PDF Quiz 4 due 7-Feb-17.

23 comments:

  1. for the question 2 i just consider the higher energy with shorter half-life, it is right? i send my quiz 4 via email.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Dr. Czerwinski, just sent you my quiz via email! Thank you I enjoyed the lecture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dr. Czerwinski!!

    Just sent you PDF_Quiz 4
    I like how you put sample calculations on the slide like the one you did for the coulomb barrier equation..super helpful easy to follow. thank you

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've finished reading the lecture and submitted quiz 4. I had a bit of an issue looking at the isotopes table on question 3 as some of the things written there were hard to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for the comment. I understand the copy of the chart of the nuclides is not the best. However all students have the chart, so you can use your book to go to the relevant section.

      Delete
  5. Sent you an email with an attached quiz. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I finished lecture 4 and submitted my quiz. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I finished lecture 4 and PDF Quiz 4. I sent you an email with PDF Quiz 4 attached. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I finished the lecture and sent in the quiz, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks for the comments and PDF quizzes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Finished. In alpha decay theory, where is the alpha particle in relation to the daughter nucleus? Is this referring to the event where the a-particle is emitted from the nucleus? Or is the alpha particle approaching the daughter?

    Also, the link to the "alpha decay figure" doesn't work for me, nor does the link to the table of isotopes located in "Intro, Chart of Nuclides".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The alpha particle is emitted from the parent nucleus. When it departs the parent the daughter is created.

      The links from Lawrence Berkeley laboratories do not function well. I will change these.

      Delete
  11. I sent my completed quiz to your email. I liked this lecture, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've completed and submitted the quiz. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just completed the lecture and submitted the quiz.

    ReplyDelete
  14. thank you very much for the comments and PDF quizzes.

    ReplyDelete