Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Spring 2017 CHEM 312: Lecture 10 Radiation Interactions

This lecture, in 2 parts, covers interaction of radiation with matter and includes fundamental interactions, particle ranges, dosimetry, and hot atom chemistry. Interaction of radiation with matter covers energy loss and reactions with charged particles and photons. The stopping power of charged particles in different material is covered, including calculations on energy loss with thickness. Electron backscattering is introduced with examples on different behavior with varied elements. Discussion on photon interaction includes photoelectric effect, Compton effect, and pair production. Units of dosimetry are described. Dosimetry measurements are discussed and quality factors based on particle mass and charge are introduced. Introductory dose calculations are supplied. Radiation protection regulations and the definition of terms (ALI, DAC) are given. A review of hot atom chemistry is given. Part 1 is 22 minutes, part 2 is 29 minutes. The lecture is assigned 9-Mar-17 and due 14-Mar-17.

18 comments:

  1. Dr. Czerwinksi I turned in my quiz 10 ..for the question with a free response answer the font size is super tiny when I typed my answer I don't know how to change the size.. if you can't read my answer I can try to re-send please let me know

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have completed the lecture and submitted my quiz via email, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lecture and quiz completed. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Completed, quiz has been submitted

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have finished the lecture and sent in quiz 10.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have finished lecture 10 and submitted the quiz.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Submitted my quiz via email. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I completed this lecture and submitted my quiz as an attachment via email to you. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete