Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Spring 2017 CHEM 312: Lecture 9 Nuclear Reactions

The lecture on nuclear reactions is presented in two parts. Nuclear reaction notation is introduced. The role of energetics in nuclear reactions is discussed and evaluated, including Q value, reaction barriers, and threshold energy. Center of mass and laboratory frames are discussed. The different processes involved in the formation of isotopes is provided including photonuclear processes. Reaction energetics, mechanisms and types are described. Nuclear reaction cross sections are described, with a presentation on values and limits given. This includes role of angular momentum in cross section values. The stellar production of elements is presented in terms of nuclear reactions. These provide the basis for understanding the formation of isotopes in stars. Part one is 26 minutes, part 2 is 34 minutes.  The lecture is assigned 7-Mar-17 and the PDF quiz is due 12-Mar-17.

25 comments:

  1. I have attempted to download quiz 9 from the link and it appears as an error. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have completed the lecture and sent my quiz via email. I really enjoyed learning about stellar nucleosynthesis! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Also, I was having trouble opening the pdf quiz from the lecture 9 page, but the link for the quiz works fine on the pdf quiz page.

      Delete
    2. thank you very much for the comment. The PDF quiz can now be accessed from the lecture 9 webpage.

      Delete
  4. Quiz 9 has been completed and turned in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good evening! I completed your lecture and emailed you my PDF Quiz 9.
    -Halli Cooke

    ReplyDelete
  6. Completed the lecture and sent quiz 9!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have finished the lecture and sent in quiz 9. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Finished the lecture, the stellar nucleosynthesis is very fascinating
    thank you

    ReplyDelete
  9. I sent in the quiz via the "submit form" but I don't know if it worked, have you received my quiz with all of the answers? Let me know if I need to resend

    ReplyDelete
  10. Quiz 9 has been submitted via email. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just completed and submitted quiz number 9.

    ReplyDelete
  12. PDF Quiz #9 Submitted! Also Girl Scout cookie season is finally over!!! Perhaps I will be able to submit earlier on Sundays now.

    ReplyDelete